Forgive me if this comes in twice... I did not subscribe first before sending
the message below.

________________________________
From: Craig Brautigam
Sent: Monday, March 4, 2024 1:33 PM
To: user@commons.apache.org <user@commons.apache.org>
Subject: MultivariateNormalMixtureExpectationMaximization only 1 dimension

Hi,

Full disclosure, I'm not a mathematician so I can not go into the weeds into
the math.  However I am tasked with porting some matlab code that is doing
gaussian mixed model to java.  I really want to use apache common math if
possible.  However the code that I'm porting has 1 dimension ( a single
variable/attribute/property) that GMMs are being created from.

MultivariateNormalMixtureExpectationMaximization looks to be a pretty close
drop in replacement for the matlab functions
https://www.mathworks.com/help/stats/fitgmdist.html<https://www.mathworks.com/help/stats/fitgmdist.html>
 andhttps://www.mathworks.com/help/stats/gmdistribution.html, however the
constructor for MultivariateNormalMixtureExpectationMaximization clearly states
the the number of columns in the double[][]data array MUST be no less thatn2
columns.  I'm completely baffled as to why this is the case if I want to try to
fit data with 1 dimension in it.  Is there a workaround I can use like provide
a dummy column of data with all 0s to pacify the constructor? Is there another
class I should be using?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments from ICR, Inc. may
contain confidential and/or proprietary information, and is intended only for
the named recipient to whom it was originally addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient, any disclosure, distribution, or copying of this e-mail or
its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and permanently
delete the e-mail and any attachments.