Lists are capable of building up arbitrary data structures much like what a
client would have to do to sort it.  I don't know if there is some limit on
the memory usage that a list can have.  If there is I have not heard of it.
 Right now I'm using lists to do 'joins' of my multi-doc-type views. I
haven't thrown the sorting into the mix, but I've thought about giving it a
shot to see how it performs.