On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Luciano Ramalho <luci...@ramalho.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Robert Newson <robert.new...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> "If you really need transactions in the classical, RDBMS sense, where
>> you need to update a bunch of related records in one atomic operation,
>> then CouchDB is not for you."
>>
>> I think that's a little overstated. Instead, realize that updates to a
>> document are atomic, and therefore you should model your transactions
>> as documents.
>
> Sure, that is exactly the point of the banking recipe, and I believe
> Andy -- the original poster -- got it, but he felt it the model was
> unsuitable to the kinds of transactional apps he had in mind, and
> perhaps he is right.
>
> If one can model every transaction as a single document POST, great.
> Not all applications can be bent to work that way.

I agree.  It just seems that the part that the OP didn't get was the
point of views and how to use them.  You don't want to store summary
data in documents (like counts), that is what views are great for.
Otherwise you'd have cascading updates, to update one count and then
update another count and so on.  Let couchdb work for you. :)