Hi,
        Let's say you have a +1 or -1 vote for a given document. You could
record this with a document like:

{
        "article" : "article-id", "vote": 1, "timestamp": now()
}

or

{
        "article" : "article-id", "vote": -1, "timestamp": now()
}

(where now() is some function you run client side to get the time.

You'd then be able to get the rating via a simple map function and a _sum
reduce:

function(doc) {
  if (doc.vote) emit(doc.article, doc.vote);
}

And query it for a specific article with

http://localhost:5984/voting/_design/vote/_view/vote?group=true&key=%22foo%22

Mike Miller did a nice summary of how you could do time binned data for your
historical info (using the timestamp field in the vote doc) on
http://nosqltapes.com/video/understanding-mapreduce-with-mike-miller

HTH
Cheers
Simon