Hi all,

I'm following Couchdb with a lot of interest for a while now, but I don't
have any hands on experience. I hope I'm not asking the obvious here.

Currently I'm working on an IOS app that communicates with a remove server.
This involves a lot of inefficient and unnecessary calls to a backend API.
Optimizing this would in effect mean building something similar as the
_changes/replication feature already available in Couchdb.

Now I'm wondering with the announcement of Couchdb IOS if this could be a
valid use case for Couchdb.

The app i'm building is basically a social network. So a lot of data will be
needed over and over, some data might or might not be requisted so should
not be kept locally. When something related to the user happens, he/she
needs to be notified asap. So I basically need the following:

1) have a synced subset of the existing data available on the local database
on the devise (through replication).
2) User generated data should get onto the remote server through
replication.
3) The local database needs to stay small so older data needs to be removed
without syncing this to a remote server (think about old activities in an
activity stream).
4) When a user needs data that isn't available locally, it should be
possible to get this data from the remote Couchdb instance.
5) It would be nice if all of the above could be handled from within the
local couchdb instance, so the application does not need to know about all
the data logic

I believe the above requirements are applicable to many mobile apps and
maybe it is asking too much, but is/will something like the above possible
between two Couchdb instances?  And will it be for Couchdb-IOS?

Thanks for your insights in advance.

Regards,

Jeroen