Hi,

I am currently evaluating CouchDB. During my tests I have observed  suprisingly
high CPU load. I have installed a fresh CouchDB 1.0.2, created a DB and
inserted one doc { 'hello':'world'}.

Then I just fetch this single document as often as possible. My expectations
are, that the network should be the bottleneck in this simple case.

However the CPU Load of couchdb is very high. with 5 concurrect threads
fetching the document I get around 90% cpu usage. Serving the json as a static
file with an apache yields about twice as many requests as couchdb and only
about 50% cpu load.

I have repeated this test on linux in a vm, linux directly on the metal and osx
and the results are more or less similar.

I am very aware of the fact, that my 'benchmarks' are very rough... however I
am concerned about the actual performance of couchdb when serving lots of
requests.

Why is CouchDB generating such a high load? Why isn't couch able to saturate
the network?

I have tried disabling compression and setting the loglevel to error with no
effect.

Regards,

Mo