You can fake it if you want:

function(doc) {
  if(doc.type == "Article" && (doc.location == "NY" || doc.location == "CA" )){
    emit(["NYCA", doc.release_date], doc)
  }
}

Or join the discussion about why views should have search fields so this could
be resolved once and for all.

They it would be:

function(doc) {
  if(doc.type == "Article" )){
    emit(doc.release_date, doc, doc.location)
  }
}

then query it with:

_view/articles?limit=5&decending=true&search="NY OR CA"

Btw you only need this to call it from couchapp. It's better not to have the
whole url so you can easily change hosts and even database names
like application-test.

There is some work going on in this direction and it's important to let people
know that this is important.

Regards,
Olafur Arason