This is not a problem due to you haven't specified the Accept header
and not defined preferable content type.
According HTTP specification [1] section 14.1, if there is no
acceptable content-type then assume that client supports all media
types. AFAIK, http work with mime types based on another specification
[2] which tell to return text/plain value as default one. I suppose
that you should specify it due to specifications, not usability
reasons, that's not difficult(;

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt
[2] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2045.txt