From: Brian Mitchell <binar...@gmail.com>
To: user@couchdb.apache.org
Cc: glenn.b...@gmail.com
Sent: Thu, May 26, 2011 12:07:07 PM
Subject: Re: Limit on the number of databases?

On Thursday, May 26, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Sam Bisbee wrote:

>  - On a non-performance note, you can't do map/reduce across
> databases. If you plan on referencing between them or combining data,
> then you're probably going to have a index database that some client
> code puts its results into.
That or it's reasonable to build a data warehouse which does this in an
aggregate database (via replication, possibly filtered). One benefit of having
smaller databases is that view generation is cheaper if you want to avoid
downtime and don't want to deal with stale views (not an option in many cases).

I've been investigating this too and will report on success if I achieve it,
though at worst I'll just fall back to a larger database with BigCouch and a
very large Q-value (shard count).

Brian.