CouchDB generates uuid's that attempts to minimise the amount of rebalancing
that needs to happen on insert, however thats only an optimization I would
worry about if you are under fairly severe load.

If your application has natural id's then I would use them, if not then I
think its fine to use POST as long as you aware of the idempotent issue

Cheers
Dale