Michael,

You are quite right to call me on my non-contribution to this thread,
I apologise.

I always set AllowRootLogin to false on ssh in the spirit of
defence-in-depth, coupled with the  "UsePrivilegeSeparation yes"
setting.

SSH'ing to a non-privileged user account, allowed to sudo with a
password, is an extra hurdle.

The biggest improvement is to disable insecure SSH methods like
passwords, of course. That and keeping sshd patched.

B.