> To answer the original question, _sum can only sum numbers, it does
> not understand numbers inside strings.

The way I understood the OP's question was that he had correctly,
following the error message, converted to using numbers instead of
strings, but then didn't understand the obtained result.

>> sidenote: super cool talk by Bartek Szopka about floating point numbers in
>> JavaScript (and other languages) held at JSConf.eu 2013
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqHDDtVYJRI

This is interesting, nice.  I come from a background where numerical
precision and memory layout is often a concern (e.g. physics
simulations, hardware readout), but these types of things I think can
be more easily forgotten when using higher level languages like
javascript, python, etc.  Imo it's still an essential understanding to
have.