In the end the errors ended up (ironically) being caused by a bad call to
our error monitoring service.  We run couchdb behind a rails proxy and we
were randomly seeing 500 errors on some proxy requests with no backtrace so
it was hard to track down.

Benoit, by graceful I mean something like unicorn's USR2 signal.  The
original process would immediately stop accepting new requests, fire up a
new instance, finish handling any existing requests, and then terminate.

Is there a strong argument against graceful restarts?  Couchdb restarts so
quickly it's a shame to have it result in failed requests.