Jens Alfke wrote:
> Watch whom you're calling a jerk, please.

Sorry, I was trying to be humorous, not malicious. I know text can be difficult
with these things, so please take no offense.

> Uh, you can't own a "concept". You can own a patent, copyright or trademark.

Again, not speaking literally here. I was just trying to say that Apache
CouchDB had the red couch-shaped logo first. I don't want to rehash the bad
blood that occurred between certain former CouchBase employees, the direction
of the CouchBase product and the Apache CouchDB community at this point, it
won't do anyone any good and is irrelevant to this discussion.

On that point, perhaps it _is_ time to change the logo. That was a particularly
dark chapter in our history. A new visual identity with a clear distinction
could help mark a new beginning.

Paul Davis then said:
> While I'm not super excited to see our logo change, I can see how it
> could be misinterpreted which is probably reason enough to think about
> changing it.

This is all I am trying to do - have the discussion about *thinking* about
changing it.

Again, I'm not terribly offended by the logo either, but it is my
responsibility as a PMC member to bring these issues forward to the community
as a whole. There are at least 4 people out there who took the time to track me
down at a conference at which I was speaking about Apache Couchdb and complain
about the logo. It took me a while to decide what to do, but once I did, I took
it straight to user@ and dev@ for discussion.

Jan can describe the history of the original logo, but I think it was simply
the result of a contest, nothing more. We certainly could have another contest
if people liked, and try and have a democratic voting process on old vs. a
select number of new logos. But this discussion was really just to gauge
interest and thoughts, not to suggest any particular way forward or start a
process.

If any of the people who came up to me in person to lodge a complaint want to
speak up on the mailing list, now's your chance.

-Joan