> Hi,
>
> why do you say it is a 'mistake' to emit doc from a view?
> I do have views that get some param and return the resulting doc(s).
> E.g.:
>
> |||"|map|":|"function(doc) {if(doc.startDate && !doc.disabled)
> {emit(doc.startDate, doc);}}"||||

Perhaps it's more correct to say "unnecessary".  You can always get the
associated documents from the results of a view using the include_docs
flag.  I personally don't know if this has advantages in terms of space,
but I do believe emitting a document will result in it being saved
additionally to disk in the view results.

For your case, you can simply do

emit(doc.startDate, null)

and still get the behavior you need.