Another case of the AP nature of the system.

The create database operation succeeds if at least one node performs the action
(which is to create a document in the non-clustered _dbs database).

The 500 is because the operation timed out waiting for a majority of nodes to
report success, I am guessing.

Once the other two nodes come back up, the _dbs database update will be
replicated to them.

B.