Stefan is correct that this is expected behaviour, but I’d reject the notion
that
it is in any way recommended to not use the CouchDB user system. All you need to
do is have a CouchDB admin user do the _users edits.

Of course you can build your own system on top, but I wouldn’t recommend that.

Best
Jan