Not sure Drill -- or any of the other SQL-on-Hadoop engines -- are truly
well-suited to CRUD.  They excel at the "R" -- the "CUD" is not their forte.

-----Original Message-----
From: Samuel Marks [mailto:samuelma...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2015 8:50 AM
To: user@drill.apache.org
Subject: Re: Which [open-souce] SQL engine atop Hadoop?

Dear Jacques,

Seeing the support for 03 SQL syntax, nested objects, and schema-free SQL in
Apache Drill is quite impressive, not to mention the useful ODBC interface
alongside the expected JDBC one. Additionally on the scalability side your
documentation claims: "Scales from a single laptop to a 1000-node cluster".

You mention that this entire topic is subjective. I suppose with insufficient
information about my use-case, you may just be right.

Without giving away my full use-case—FYI: I will be open-sourcing what I'm
building—I will tell you a little bit about the components.

The generic components would just include CRUD, and basic related queries (such
as propagated updates utilising joins).

More interesting is on the analytics side, wherein I'll be executing a variety
of Machine Learning, information filtering (recommender systems, internal
search engine most with some element of Natural Language Processing), time
series sequence matching and related tasks. Some of these require near-realtime

I posted something similar to this on StackOverflow, it was very quickly
removed. Haven't tried LinkedIn or Quora, probably worth a shot. Worried about
speaking to enterprise sales people, as they're being paid to push their own
offering (and I doubt they have extensive benchmarks across all their
competitors).

Thanks for your continuing advice,

Samuel Marks
http://linkedin.com/in/samuelmarks