Thanks, I am incorrectly conflating the file system with data storage.

Looking to experiment with the Parquet format, and was looking at CTAS queries
as an import approach.

Are direct queries over local files meant for an embedded drill, where on a
cluster files should be moved into HDFS first?

That would make sense as files on one node would be query bound to that local
filesystem.