The downside of that isolation is that the storage plugin configuration of the
primary cluster is lost.

If you connect DIRECTLY to the drill-bit rather than via zookeeper, then that
drill-bit will be the foreman of your queries.  For small data sets, the
foreman will not involve any other drill-bits.

— David