In https://drill.apache.org/docs/json-data-model/ there is a section that
goes as laid out below.   This is actually not occurring for me. I have a
json dump from Mongo that has a field called tags where many records have
"tags":[] and it's outputting that without error.  (It just shows [] as the
output).

So, my question is this... based on the documentation, what I am seeing is
NOT expected, is it a miss on the docs, or something that is fixed in the
1.2 release that I have?

If it is fixed so we can have empty arrays in a field like tags, is it
possible there are some functions I can use to determine if that field is
empty? i.e. if isemptyarray(tags) returns true if empty or perhaps get me
the length said array?  These functions would  be very valuable in queries
(if the empty arrays thing is not a weird quirk I am seeing).

Empty array

Drill cannot read an empty array, shown in the following example, and
attempting to do so causes an error.

Workaround: Remove empty arrays.