The changes to parquet were not supposed to be functional at all. We had
been maintaining our fork of parquet-mr to have a ByteBuffer based read and
write path to reduce heap memory usage. The work done was just getting
these changes merged back into parquet-mr and making corresponding changes
in Drill to accommodate any interface modifications introduced since we
last rebased (there were mostly just package renames). There were a lot of
comments on the PR, and a decent amount of refactoring that was done to
consolidate and otherwise clean up the code, but there shouldn't have been
any changes to the behavior of the reader or writer.

Are you getting all of the same data out if you read the whole file, just
in a different order?