Most of the effort have been going into metadata caching and improvements in
this area, specifically DFS parquet and Hive. And also improved directory
pruning at planning time. This helps to reduce he planning time significantly.
These seem to have been the big time consumers for query plans

I have not seen any specific effort to cache query plans. However Drill is used
for analytical purposes the query volumes are substantially lower than
transactional RDBMS where query plan caching can be critical.

Are you potentially seeing an issue with query volume or query planning time?

--Andries