From: Ted Schwartz [mailto:tschwa...@loomissayles.com]
Sent: Montag, 22. Februar 2016 17:41
To: drill-u...@incubator.apache.org
Subject: what am I missing?

I'm new to drill and trying to get up and running. My goal is to access drill
from a JDBC client. I'm a bit confused when starting drill. If I use
drill-embedded, it appears it only allows one connection and that connection is
started along with drill.  So if instead I try to run in distributed mode, I
have modified drill-override.conf like this:

drill.exec: {
  cluster-id: "drillbits1",
  zk.connect: "myhost:2181"
}

and start drillbit(?)  with this:

drillbit.sh start

I get a "starting drillbit..." message, but cannot connect in any way to it.

If I try to connect using sqlline, it fails with "Connection timed out":

sqlline -u jdbc:drill:zk=myhost:2181

Same problems if I try to connect using the drill-conf utility (which appears
to be nothing other than an invocation of sqlline)

No matter how I start drill, it doesn't appear any ports are opened for the
process. For example, `netstat -a | grep 2181` doesn't yield any results, and
the http port 8047 that works when I start in embedded mode doesn't work in
distributed mode.

I feel like I am missing something fundamental to all of this, although I'm
trying to follow the Getting Started documentation.  I've seen references to
"making sure you start Zookeeper". How do I do that? I find lots of details
about starting drillbit, but nothing about starting Zookeeper.

Thanks in advance for any clue that can help me move forward.