User Defined Function doesn't exclude the possibility to include the
function in Drill's code base, if the user chooses to contribute the
function back as a patch of a pull request.

We generally suggest the creation of an UDF because it can be much faster
than opening a JIRA and waiting for a community member to implement the
function. You are right though as not all users will have the capabilities
nor the time to do it.

Abdelhakim Deneche

Software Engineer

  <http://www.mapr.com/>