Finally managed to reproduce it with CDH distribution (So far I was testing
with HBase 1.1 distributed with MapR, which does not have this bug).

This is essentially an HBase bug, HBASE-13262[1], which has been fixed in
1.0.1, 1.1.0.

Please update your HBase distribution.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-13262