Both are options (and thats how the bI tools work with Drill today)

 - Views with explicit Casts - Will return schema definitions as part show
schemas/describe table/show columns queries.
- Limit 0 queries - This will be good as well if we can modify Caravel to
issue such queries (this is what Tableau does)

For now, I think returning metadata to Caravel using the above options will
be the solution. The ideal approach would be actually to have a  data
exploration experience on raw data (without curation) within Caravel itself
to create this metadata as needed.

-Neeraja