Ted refers to source code transformation. Drill gains its speed from value
vectors. However, VVs are a far cry from the row-based interface that most
mere mortals are accustomed to using. Since VVs are very type specific,
code is typically generated to handle the specifics of each type. Accessing
VVs in Jython may be a bit of a challenge because of the "impedence
mismatch" between how VVs work and the row-and-column view expected by most
(non-Drill) developers.

I wonder if we've considered providing a row-oriented "facade" that can be
used by roll-your own data sources and user-defined row transforms? Might
be a hiccup in the fast VV pipeline, but might be handy for users willing
to trade a bit of speed for convenience. With such a facade, the Jython row
transforms that John mentions could be quite simple.