I see the following error (Drill 1.5.0):

org.apache.drill.common.exceptions.UserRemoteException: SYSTEM ERROR:
SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out

However, I am able to connect to the Azure Data Lake from the server that
reported the error using curl, so it does not appear to be a standard
connectivity issue.

My Storage configuration is very basic:

{
  "type": "file",
  "enabled": true,
  "connection": "swebhdfs://azuredatalakestoragename.azuredatalakestore.net",
  "workspaces": {
    "root": {
      "location": "/",
      "writable": true,