You are likely looking for the to_char function to convert date to a different
string format. You can always convert back to a date by using to_date.

select current_date, to_char(current_date,'mm/dd/yyyy') from (values(1));
| current_date  |   EXPR$1    |
| 2016-09-08    | 00/08/2016  |
1 row selected (0.376 seconds)

See conversion functions here