Do you wish to use Drill in distributed mode with each node having it's own
local file system or do you plan to use it with a different data source
which is also a distributed file system (but not HDFS / MapR-FS)?

If the former, yes you should be able to form a Drill cluster by bringing
up Drillbits in standalone mode on multiple disjoint nodes. You will still
need ZooKeeper for cluster coordination. But understand that since each
node can only talk to files on it's local file system, the Drill cluster
will not have a unified view and access of the files for distributed
processing. Your queries may fail, as a Drillbit might fail to access data.
To experiment, you can make sure the directories and files you need to
query are identical on each node. However, this is untested and I'm not
sure if it will indeed work.

If it's the latter, can you share what data source you have in mind?