Hi Ascot,

I am not sure if Kerberos between Hbase storage plugin and Hbase server has
been tried before or not. Link in [1] talks about Kerberos setup between Drill
Client and Drillbit. However looking into the code for Hbase and link at [2],
it looks like if you can put a hbase-site.xml in classpath with corresponding
setting, then it should work, since internally Drill's hbase storage plugin
creates a HBaseConfiguration instance which loads this file in class-path and
set corresponding settings for authentication. You need to create TGT for Drill
process user (by running kinit, also information provided in link [2]) which
will be running as HBase client to the server.

HBaseConnectionKey::getHBaseConf() {

  return storeConfig.getHBaseConf();
}

Under HBaseStoragePluginConfig you can find this is how configuration is
created:

public Configuration getHBaseConf() {
  if (hbaseConf == null) {
    hbaseConf = HBaseConfiguration.create();

  }

}

[1]:
https://drill.apache.org/docs/configuring-kerberos-authentication/<https://drill.apache.org/docs/configuring-kerberos-authentication/><https://drill.apache.org/docs/configuring-kerberos-authentication/>
[2]: http://hbase.apache.org/0.94/book/security.html

Thanks,
Sorabh