As long as the nodes are "up" during the planning phase they will be
included in the planning. If they go "down" after planning, (i.e. during
execution) and fragments are requested, they will not report, and will fail
the query.

So if you start off with 5 nodes, but node 4 is down for patches, and then
you submit a query, the remaining 4 nodes will execute the query with no
issues.

If you start out with 5 nodes, all up and running, you submit a query, and
during execution, you take down node 4, that query will fail.

There is work being done to help with "taking down" nodes sanely to help
with patching.

Resending work expected from a certain node to another node is "hard" if I
understand past email chains correctly. You can't just retry fragments on
other nodes once Node 4 goes down. It will take a Drill expert to explain
that better than I can though.

John