Hi Spiro,
For the error while connecting using sqlline:- Do you have TGT generated for
your client user which you are using to connect to Drill ? If yes can you check
if sqlline process user has access to that ticket file or not ? Can you please
share your sqlline command? Also can you share your drill-override.conf config ?

Instruction on how to configure for Kerberos on server and client side are
here[1]. Not sure if you got chance to look at it.

As far as enabling Drill authentication to zookeeper is concerned I have not
tried it but Drill internally uses curator framework to connect to Zookeeper.
So it will depend upon how Curator supports authenticating using Kerberos. From
quick search it looks like just providing a JAAS conf file to below system
property should be good enough.

-Djava.security.auth.login.config

I would say first let's try to make DrillClient to Drillbit path working with
Kerberos.

[1]: https://drill.apache.org/docs/configuring-kerberos-security/

Thanks,
Sorabh