Well said Dave.

There are all sorts of ways you can "measure" performance, but it is still
hard to compare. For instance, the "Miss Manners" (in drools example) is an
traditional test to stress rules engines. The way this is implemented in
drools is blindingly fast, relative to other engines (it is an optimised
implementation):
More on drools miss manners results:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/DROOLS-235
Miss manners:
http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/eai/leadership/archives/002349.asp

Further to this, it is easy to come up with a test to show a particular
angle. For instance, I made a simple rule set, and tried it out with 500000
different facts, on my laptop drools can process upwards of 375 000 rules
per second when calculating the agenda (while listening to iTunes). What
does this number mean? I don't know, but if someone was to write about it in
the press I am sure things would get out of hand ! I am sure everyone would
rather we get on with the job, working with drools, rather then lots of
discussions about this and that (having said that, to answer Felipe's query,
we do want to make sure people feel confident). Drools marketing budget:
zero dollars (well, Mark will give you a cup of tea if you visit him in the
UK).

There are some typical things that can cause people to get unstuck, like a
combination explosion if there are multiple arguments (if this is combined
with a large number of facts, you run up against the laws of physics), or
just a huge amount of recursion happening.

There is also scaling with the number of rules (not just number of facts),
which is quite favourable:
see graph of scaling with number of rules (strangely came from an article
about Microsofts BRE in BizTalk):
http://geekswithblogs.net/images/geekswithblogs_net/cyoung/507/o_brecomp02b.
gif

Finally, Mark Proctor is currently beavering away to get a tech preview out
of the "full" RETE engine (and more) - this will effectively replace the
current drools-core. Further to this, the plan is to support alternative
algorithms which in some cases can prove optimal. Keep in mind that the
drools 2.0 core was built for stability and simplicity, which is has
achieved. Bob Mc did an amazing job getting all that going, which is a great
foundation to build on.

As for the meantime, many people are already using drools, in large and
small projects. RETE is only one part of the equation, many "new" rule
engines claim to not even want to support RETE - it is to complex an issue
to come down to a number or a single fact to latch on to.
Simon Harris on drools: (he has contributed a lot since this post):
http://www.redhillconsulting.com.au/blogs/simon/archives/000208.html

Share your stories !

if you want to help out and are handy with a profiler, find some hot spots:
http://drools.org/Hot+Spots

At the end of the day drools is completely open, so get involved, have a
poke around and see what you can do !

Michael.
(about to take off for 2 weeks of sitting around on a beach, and by the
pool).