well not really. If someone has a rule where they declare they want 2
objects of type A,
Then most of the time, they just want the "interesting" permutations from
matching objects in working memory. A hashcode is just an arbitrary way of
providing an order (refer to
http://www.redhillconsulting.com.au/blogs/simon/archives/000213.html
<http://www.redhillconsulting.com.au/blogs/simon/archives/000213.html>for an
example in SQL using an id field, which is really just as arbitrary in the
database world).

I think it does need to be an option for people to use, the question is to
make it default or not. It just seems that whenever someone writes rules
that take multiple same type parameters, they get into trouble when they
didn't really need all those extra combinations to start with.

The fact that the hash code changes with each run (possibly) doesn't matter
in this case, unless you magically expect certain objects to appear bound to
parameters based on their order, which doesn't even make any sense anyway.
In this case he was saying that he didn't need the extra combinations, and
identity is a efficient way to achieve this.

Michael.