I never seem to have much luck with Maven 1 versions myself (I think I am
cursed), I often have to mess around with versions.

Maven 2 is the go for Drools 3, and so far it has been a great experience.
The difference is night and day (and this is coming from a non-maven fan !).
And maven 2 generates build.xml that actually work, so take hope !

Michael.