no there shouldn't be any specific size limits. How long/complex are your
rules?

I remember noticing errors like that when there were certain odd syntax
errors in the conditions/consequences (to do with the sax parser and some
unescaped characters). Unfortunately I wasn't able to reliably reproduce it
(and this was a while ago) but I do remember seeing that error.

Does it happen no matter what rules you pull out? (ie perhaps its the same
offending rule that you pull out each time).

Failing that, if you like and can, send me the ruleset (not sure if I will
be able to run it without the all the domain objects etc).

Michael.