I have nothing empirical. Peter Lin recently ran the tests and said we should be potentially 10-20 times faster than Drools 2.x - we are also faster than Clips. However Jess is an awesome engine, if you can handle lisp, and is still the speed demon - it beats many other commecial engines. But remember Jess is not open source nor is it free, it is free to trial, it is still very expensive to use commercially - typcailly 50K USD or more for a large company.

1. What are you trying to empirically show here? The number of rules executed is always the same 2. No idea - measing rulebase size is not normally a concern of rule engines - unless yo are working in the embedded space. Its the size of the working memory that is more an issue - I haven't measured this. 3. Again this question doesn't really make sense to me. Basically stay away from evals and keep to nice literal and variable constraints. Evals should only be used when a predicate's value change over time and is thus not indexeable.

The article by Andrea is silly, the only thing that guy does is demonstrate he knows little about rule engines. Charles Young's article is more interesting. Although it compares Drools 2.x, which has known performance limits. It doesn't compare 3.0, which is vastly more powerful than 2.x

Mark

Mark
Ho, Alan wrote:
Hi Mark,

I'm giving a presentation to my company tommorow on drools, and one question
that will come up will be the performance of drools. I know that the
performance is dependent on the type of rules, but I would like to know the
following :

1. How many rules does the manners64 execute ?
2. How big was the fact base ?
3. What kind of rules allows drools to scale linearly between time and the
number of rules ?

I'm sorry that this is of such short notice.

Here is some stuff that I saw :

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/schaefa/archive/2005/10/drools_performa.html
http://geekswithblogs.net/cyoung/articles/54022.aspx

Regards,