Drools 3.0 <http://labs.jboss.com/portal/jbossrules> the project is about to be released and with that we will create a branch for JBoss Rules 3.0 the product. JBoss Rules 3.0 will be a long lived stable branch packaged with JBoss support and training goodness.

Some of the Drools project developers have got together and produced an initial brain dump -- a "wish list" for future development - which will form the basis of our Road Map <http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=DroolsRoadmap>. This should help users understand the direction we wish to take Drools. Obviously this goes well beyond the scope of a next release and we will start to prioritize the work soon. The assigned names are just initial first owners, ownership will more than likely change over time. Some will ask "what about integration with X" - several of the features in the list are there to assist integration with projects like jBPM and Seam, e.g. backward chaining and named facts. As always in OSS I'm sure there will be surprised additions that surface, that are not in the list.

Feedback Welcome :)

*Rule Engine* (mark)
parser extensions for rule additions are handled by michael and bob, builder extensions by mark

   * Backward Chaining (mark)
   * Connective field constraints (mark)
   * subfield references (mark)
   * Nesting of Conditional Elements inside 'not' and 'exists' (mark)
   * Shadow Facts (michael)
   * 'forall' first order logic support (edson)
   * 'accumulate' first order logic support (edson)
   * Logical field modifications (mark)
   * Optional functional calls only (michael)
   * Improved Performance (edson)
   * Possible Leaps/Rete design re-use - from our ultra fast
     experimental Leaps implementation (alex)
   * Event Management (edson)
   * Concurrent/Asynchronous API (mark)
   * Templates (mark)
   * Improved autoboxing (mark/mic)
   * Improved no-loop support (mark)
   * Named facts (mark)
   * Alternative equals map instead of identity - for duplicate facts
     (edson)

*Eclipse IDE* (kris)

   * Interactive debugger with breakpoints (kris)
   * Context assist for Column types and field names (kris)
   * Context assist for java expressions and blocks (kris)
   * Field Type aware widgets - dates, boolean (kris)
   * In-place field Type validation (kris)
   * Folding support (kris)
   * Refactor support (kris)
   * Improved Audit Event Listener (kris)
   * Improved line number error reporting for code blocks (kris)
   * Drools perspective, to start making a single perspective for all
     future UI work (kris)

*Parser* (bob)

   * Modularization (bob)
   * Better error detection and reporting (bob)
   * Possible parser split - meta driven light weight IDE parser, rule
     builder parser. (bob)

*Natural Language* (michael)

   * API driven naturual language mappings for classes and fields (bob)
   * DSL enhancements: Type aware/constrained DSL expressions (kris)

*Management* (michael)

   * Rule Repository (michael)
   * Deployment management (michael)
   * Effective Dated rule management via JMS (michael)

*Standard Support* (michael)

   * Drools API and Language support for 3rd party engines. (mark)
   * RuleML (michael)
   * HRML (michael)

*Misc*

   * Alternative language support for expressions and blocks - Groovy,
     Javascript.(mark)
   * Decision Trees (mark)
   * Fuzzy Logic (mark)
   * Constraint programming (mark/michael)
   * Web based DSL rule authoring (mayavi)
   * Application Server integration for new RuleBase/WorkingMemory via
     JMX or equivalent (mark)
   * FIT (michael)