Hi Kristoffer,
I'm afraid not, but maybe Timo has some further information. In this
extended example we can see the problem:
https://gist.github.com/aljoscha/84cc363d13cf1dfe9364. The output is:

Type is: class org.apache.flink.examples.java8.wordcount.TypeTest$Thing
class org.apache.flink.examples.java8.wordcount.TypeTest$Thing
Type is: class org.apache.flink.examples.java8.wordcount.TypeTest$Thing
class org.apache.flink.examples.java8.wordcount.TypeTest$Thing
Type is :
org.apache.flink.examples.java8.wordcount.TypeTest.org.apache.flink.examples.java8.wordcount.TypeTest$Thing<java.lang.String>
class org.apache.flink.examples.java8.wordcount.TypeTest$Thing

So with the two lambda calls it does not correctly determine the generic
parameter of Thing while it works with the anonymous class.

I was exited when I saw the example because we've been trying for so long
to get this to work. Maybe we have to wait for java 19 to get this to work.
;-)

Thanks a lot for helping, though. :D
Aljoscha