Hi Martin,
the answer depends, because the current windowing implementation has some
problems. We are working on improving it in the 0.10 release, though.

If your elements arrive with strictly increasing timestamps and you have
parallelism=1 or don't perform any re-partitioning of data (which a
groupBy() does, for example) then what Matthias proposed works for you. If
not then you can get intro problems with out-of-order elements and windows
will be incorrectly determined.

If you are interested in what we are working on for 0.10, please look at
the design documents here
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Streams+and+Operations+on+Streams
and
here
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Time+and+Order+in+Streams.
The basic idea is to make windows work correctly when elements arrive not
ordered by timestamps. For this we want use watermarks as popularized, for
example, by Google Dataflow.

Please ask if you have questions about this or are interested in joining
the discussion (the design as not yet finalized, both API and
implementation). :D

Cheers,
Aljoscha

P.S. I have some proof-of-concept work in a branch of mine, if you
interested in my work there I could give you access to it.