Hi Michele,

you need to directly use a FileSystem client (e.g., Hadoop's) to create and
write to files. Have a look at the FileOutputFormat [1] which does this for
a single file per operator instance / partition. Instead of creating a
single file, you need to create one file for each key. However, you want to
avoid to have too many files open at a time but also avoid to create too
many files containing only a few records. If you use HDFS, this is
especially important, because HDFS is bad at handling many small files.
Only recent versions of HDFS support appending to files. If you have an
older version you have to create a new file for a key if you do not have an
open file handle for it.

There are multiple ways to control the number of open files and reduce the
number of files:

1) You can partition the data (as you already suggested) to move all
records with the same key to the same operator.
2) If you use the batch DataSet API you can sort the data using
sortPartition() such that each operator instance has only one file open at
a time.
3) Instead of doing a full sort, you could also use combineGroup() to
partially sort the data
4) Have a pool of open file handles and an LRU kind of eviction policy to
decide which file to close whenever you need open a new one.

Implementing this is not trivial. You can also organize the files per key
in folders. Have a look at the InitializeOnMaster and FinalizeOnMaster
hooks which are called once before a job is started and after all instance
of a task finished.

Let me know, if you need more information or if something is not clear.

Cheers, Fabian

[1]
https://github.com/apache/flink/blob/master/flink-core/src/main/java/org/apache/flink/api/common/io/FileOutputFormat.java

: