Hi Niels,

so the problem is that you can not submit a job to Flink using the
"/bin/flink" tool, right?
I assume Flink and its TaskManagers properly start and connect to each
other (the number of TaskManagers is shown correctly in the web interface).

I see the following solutions for the problem
a) Add a new page in the job manager web frontend allowing users to upload
and execute a jar with a flink job
b) add options for starting the jobmanager and blob manager on the job
manager container on fixed ports
c) Somehow make the akka rpc requests and blob manager uploads over HTTP
using the YARN proxy

The reason why we use a free port instead a fixed port is that this way two
job manager containers can run on the same machine. So solution b) would
only work if users are not using multiple flink jobs / sessions on yarn at
the same time (or you make somehow sure they are not running on the same
machine).

What's your take on the three solutions?

Does anybody here know how MR is doing it? Are they running the
ApplicationMaster RPC on a fixed port? Do they use HTTP-based calls over
the proxy?

Robert