I agree that this would make the configuration easier. However, it entails
also that the user has to retrieve the randomized path from the logs if he
wants to restart jobs after the cluster has crashed or intentionally
restarted. Furthermore, the system won't be able to clean up old checkpoint
and job handles in case that the cluster stop was intentional.

Thus, the question is how do we define the behaviour in order to retrieve
handles and to clean up old handles so that ZooKeeper won't be cluttered
with old handles?

There are basically two modes:

1. Keep state handles when shutting down the cluster. Provide a mean to
define a fixed path when starting the cluster and also a mean to purge old
state handles. Furthermore, add a shutdown mode where the handles under the
current path are directly removed. This mode would guarantee to always have
the state handles available if not explicitly told differently. However,
the downside is that ZooKeeper will be cluttered most certainly.

2. Remove the state handles when shutting down the cluster. Provide a
shutdown mode where we keep the state handles. This will keep ZooKeeper
clean but will give you also the possibility to keep a checkpoint around if
necessary. However, the user is more likely to lose his state when shutting
down the cluster.