Hi Nick,

you can use Flink's HadoopInputFormat wrappers also for the DataStream API.
However, DataStream does not offer as much "sugar" as DataSet because
StreamEnvironment does not offer dedicated createHadoopInput or
readHadoopFile methods.

In DataStream Scala you can read from a Hadoop InputFormat (TextInputFormat
in this case) as follows:

val textData: DataStream[(LongWritable, Text)] = env.createInput(
  new HadoopInputFormat[LongWritable, Text](
    new TextInputFormat,
    classOf[LongWritable],
    classOf[Text],
    new JobConf()
))

The Java version is very similar.

Note: Flink has wrappers for both MR APIs: mapred and mapreduce.

Cheers,
Fabian