Hi!

If you implement the "Checkpointed" interface, you get the function calls
to "snapshotState()" at the point when the checkpoint barrier arrives at an
operator. So, the call to "snapshotState()" in the sink is when the barrier
reaches the sink. The call to "checkpointComplete()" in the sources comes
after all barriers have reached all sinks.

Have a look here for an illustration about barriers flowing with the
stream:
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-0.10/internals/stream_checkpointing.html

Stephan