Hi Niels!

I have a pretty nice example for you here:
https://github.com/StephanEwen/sessionization

It keeps only one state and has the structure:

(source) --> (window sessions) ---> (real time sink)

                      +--> (15 minute files)

The real time sink gets the event with attached visitId immediately. The
session operator, as a side effect, writes out the 15 minute files with
sessions that expired in that time.

It is not a lot of code, the two main parts are

  - the program and the program skeleton:
https://github.com/StephanEwen/sessionization/blob/master/src/main/java/com/dataartisans/streaming/sessionization/EventTimeSessionization.java
  - the sessionizing and file writing operator:
https://github.com/StephanEwen/sessionization/blob/master/src/main/java/com/dataartisans/streaming/sessionization/SessionizingOperator.java

The example runs fully on event time, where the timestamps are extracted
from the records. That makes this program very robust (no issue with
clocks, etc).

Also, here comes the amazing part: The same program should do "replay" and
real time. The only difference is what input you give it. Since time is
event time, it can do both.

One note:
  - Event Time Watermarks are the mechanism to signal progress in event
time. It is simple here, because I assume that timestamps are ascending in
a Kafka partition. If that is not the case, you need to implement a more
elaborate TimestampExtractor.

Hope you can work with this!

Greetings,
Stephan