I tried to simplify it to the bones but I'm actually defining a custom
MapFunction<java.util.Map<String,Object>,java.util.Map<String,Object>> that
even with a simple identity function fails at runtime giving me the
following error:

>Exception in thread "main"
org.apache.flink.api.common.functions.InvalidTypesException: The return
type of function 'main(Main.java:45)' could not be determined
automatically, due to type erasure. You can give type information hints by
using the returns(...) method on the result of the transformation call, or
by letting your function implement the 'ResultTypeQueryable' interface.

where the line 45 is the line where I invoke the map function.

Here the piece of code:

ExecutionEnvironment env = ExecutionEnvironment.getExecutionEnvironment();
        env.setParallelism(2);
        Map<String,Object> inputMap = new HashMap<String,Object>();
        inputMap.put("sepal_width",2.0);
        inputMap.put("sepal_length",2.0);
        inputMap.put("petal_width",2.0);
        inputMap.put("petal_length",2.0);

        MapFunction operator=new
MapFunction<Map<String,Object>,Map<String,Object>>(){

            @Override
            public Map<String, Object> map(Map<String, Object>
stringObjectMap) throws Exception {
                return stringObjectMap;
            }
        };

        List<Map<String, Object>> input = new LinkedList<>();
        input.add(inputMap);
        DataSource<Map<String, Object>> dataset = env.fromCollection(input);
        List<java.util.Map<FieldName, Object>> collectedResult =
dataset.map(operator).collect();