The picture you reference does not really show how dataflows are connected.
For a better picture, visit this link: https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.0/concepts/concepts.html#parallel-dataflows

Let me know if this doesn't answer your question.

On 19.04.2016 14:22, Ravinder Kaur wrote:
Hello All,

Considering the following streaming dataflow of the example WordCount, I want to understand how Sink is parallelised.

Source --> flatMap --> groupBy(), sum() --> Sink

If I set the paralellism at runtime using -p, as shown here https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.0/setup/config.html#configuring-taskmanager-processing-slots

I want to understand how Sink is done parallelly and how the global result is distributed.

As far as I understood groupBy(0) is applied to the tuples<String, Integer> emitted from the flatMap funtion, which groupes by the String value and sum(1) aggregates the Integer value getting the count.

That means streams will be redistributed so that tuples grouped by the same String value be sent to one taskmanager and the Sink step should be writing the results to the specified path. When Sink step is also parallelised then each taskmanager should emit a chunk. These chunks put together must be the global result.

But when I see the pictorial representation it seems that each task slot will run a copy of the streaming dataflow and will be performing the operations on the chunk of data it gets and outputs the result. But if this is the case the global result would have duplicates of strings and would be wrong.

Could one of you kindly clarify what exactly happens?

Kind Regards,
Ravinder Kaur